Back by popular demand, my chicken and rice recipe. This is a recipe is one I made up and shared a few weeks ago on my social media. Many of you asked to have this recipe so this time I wrote it down.
This chicken and rice recipe is super easy! Similar in easiness to my roast beef recipe I made a few weeks ago. Both are a bit time consuming but everything great is worth the wait. Oh and the left overs will be delicious. You can count on that. Aaron is my leftover lover…I am not! However, this recipe I could eat for a week and not complain. It’s that good!
I’m also including the items that make this recipe a bit easier.
And without further ado…
1 whole chicken
1-2 cups of rice (depending on how many you’re serving)
5 large garden tomatoes
4 roma tomatoes
1 chopped onion
2 large garlic cloves
1 tsp of salt
1 tsp pepper
2-3 jalapeños (the more the spicier)
1 bundle of chives
2 tbsp of rosemary
1 tbsp tarregon
2 tbsp thyme
- In a large pan cover the chicken with water.
- Add all the herbs, onion and garlic into the water
- Add salt and pepper
- Cover in your Le Creuset and let cook for 1.5-2 hours
Right before the chicken is done, chop the tomatoes into small cubes. Try not to crush them. Use a small chopper (or a good knife for those of you that don’t mind your fingers being spicy for a day) and chop up the jalapeños. Set aside.
- Remove the entire chicken and place in a large bowl. Be careful as water will be inside the chickens cavity and can splatter out and burn you.
- Place the tomatoes and jalapeños into the chicken water
- Pull all the chicken off the bone and add to the simmering broth
- Cover and let simmer for at least 30 min. I prefer and hour to really give the spices and herbs a chance to marinate
When you’re done you’ll get a little something that looks like this. My goal was to set a pretty little place setting for you to display this meal. However, Aaron got home and was starving so I went ahead and served him up a bowl.
Serve over a little bit of rice and you’re all set to go.
This morning he was all excited about his “chicken and rice recipe” lunch before leaving. Who’s giving out the wife of the year award? I need to apply myself.
The edited version
My friend Leslie asked me for the quick version of this recipe. I’ll tell you what I told her, “it won’t be the same.” For those that want the not so yummy version, here you go.
1 Whole precooked chicken from Krogers or I prefer Whole Foods
1 48 oz chicken broth
1 can rotel
3 cans of whole tomoatoes
1 chopped onion
2 garlic cloves
Mix all together and let simmer for 30 min.