I’m working on being wife of the year. Step one: to know that way to a man’s heart and that’s through his belly. Okay, that’s an old fashion statement. So os this recipe! Tonight I also made an old fashion dinner. On the menu is my mom’s home cooked roast beef recipe, with rice and gravy.
If there was one meal left in life to eat it would be my home cooked roast beef. Every time I wonder why I don’t make it more. It’s absolutely delicious. Over the last year and half I haven’t been eating a lot of home cooked meat meal. However, I did make that incredible chicken and rice for you all the other week. Umm….how amazing was that? I also took dairy out from my diet. Today is one of those days where I’d say everything in moderation. I’m going for the heart.
My home cooked roast beef and rice with gravy recipe is super easy and doesn’t take a lot of ingredients. Hey, if you want to impress anyone, this is the meal to do that with. Depending on how many you are cooking for and if you want leftovers will depend on how many pounds of meat you need to buy. I aim for 1-1.5 lbs. The Kroger store I go to doesn’t have a huge choice of meets. I had to bought a an over 2 pound hunk of beef. Oh well, Aaron and I will have left overs and roast beef sandwiches tomorrow and the next day and the next.
Note: Don’t skimp on the brands. That’s what makes this meal extra good.
With that said, let’s begin with a home cooked meal.
1 lb rump or chuck roast. (key is the more fat or marble you see the tastier it is)
1 package of Lipton onion soup mix
1 can of Cambell’s Cream of mushroom (don’t go cheap here and buy store brand! you’re meal won’t be the same)
1 small can of evaporated milk
1 cup rice (I personally love basmati rice)
What to do:
- Do not open the lid. Wait until you are ready to prepare dinner.
- You can’t really over cook this meal. The longer you leave the meat in the crock post the better. I like to leave mine on low in the crockpot for about 7 hours.
- Place meat in crock pot
- in a bowl, mix together cream of mushroom and onion soup. Once combined place it in the crock pot around the meat.
- Cover and let stand for (min 1/hr per lb) the rest of the day. Best if you leave the house and come home after about 5+ hours.
- Once cooked, remove meat. Add little by little condensed milk to make gravy. Salt and pepper to taste. Add the milk little by little until you get the desired taste you like.
That’s it. Serve over rice or noodles. Looky there…you’re a pro.
Get what you need from Amazon: